Pushing the envelope with trendsetting ideas

Pushing the envelope with trendsetting ideas
Elsje Designs creates fun & functional gifts, stationery and table decor with a true South African touch

THE BUZZ

Stay in the know

with our latest designs, special offers and inspirational ideas.

If you want to receive regular eye candy, subscribe to our blog!

Friday, May 25, 2012

The perfect office for a rainy day


 


When is it time to reinvent yourself or your business?


You do not want your product or service to become boring. My goddess of reinventing herself is Madonna. Whether you like her or not, she has managed to keep reinventing herself and her brand at least three or four times a decade for over 25 years. Fashion designers are also expected to come up with a brand new collection of designs every season.

The only way to keep ahead in this or any business is to consciously make a choice to work diligently in reinventing your business. Keep the essence of who you are, yet express it differently.

I think it is time to change or re-think your product or services when…

◦ Other folks start copying your ideas or design. I know some can have a hard time being copied, however, think about it this way (aside from being a great compliment to you) you know you are doing something right when you are being copied.

◦ You are not making any money. I have had tons of ideas or designs I thought were fantastic on paper, except no one else thought so and they never sold.

◦ You have a design everyone loves and you do it more than three times. If this is the case, it is time to get rid of it or do it differently. Yes, I have been guilty of repeating the same design over and over until my clients say not again.

◦ Last but not least, if you are designing or giving a service that you find boring, even if it’s selling, it’s time to change it. We should not be in the business of boring ourselves.

What has kept me going for so many years is the excitement I get when I am trying out a new design or new service.

Thank you very much for reading my thoughts.

Still a bit of chaos in my life...  I never knew renovations (and decorations) would take this much time.  Maybe I'm just super pedantic.  My dear husband was extremely patienct is is LOVING our new home.  We painted horisontal stripes in the dining room and it's really amazing.  Having so much fun, inbetween unpacking a zillion boxes.  Tomorrow it's high heels and sexy clothing after a few weeks of Ugg (or Ugly) boots, tights and messy sweaters. 

This little office would be filled with too many distractions but it is pretty amazing!  I love the mix and match and all of the great vintage pieces.

No comments: